Thursday, November 27, 2014

GRATEFUL FOR FEAR AND RESILIENCE


During my morning practice on this Thanksgiving Day, I read a passage on resilience from Oprah's book, 'What I know for Sure"  (I shared below)

It made me reflect on how I am grateful for the last two years as I made a decision to take on fear.  I found myself tired of operating from fear based on peoples words or my wild thoughts.

What did I do?  I studied fear ..  I leaned into fear and I got curious.  I asked myself internally, what do I need for myself to get beyond fear.  . in anything.  I also asked, what am I learning from fear?  I came to the understanding that when I and others are scared, and not feeling safe, we will use words to create an illusion of battle or protection.  I was experiencing this with myself and others.

So I bought a couple of books - "Fear" Essential Wisdom For Getting Through theStorm" by Thich Nhat Hanh and Gabrielle Bernstein's book - May Cause Miracles. I read, reflected on each word that spoke to me every day for 40 days.  Pretty powerful stuff.

So I offer this, when you operate from fear . . stop and ask yourself, what do I need to get beyond fear?  and What am I learning from fear.  . then listen to the little voice inside, reflect, be curious and study for YOU and see what you need for yourself to move beyond fear.

Happy Thanksgiving.  I am grateful for you.

Warmly -
Debbie

What I know for Sure - Oprah Winfrey

Every challenge we take on has the power to knock us on our knees.  But what's even more disconcerting than the jolt itself is our fear that we won't withstand it. When we feel the ground beneath us shifting, we panic.We forget everything we know and allow fear to freeze us. Just the thought of what could happen is enough to throw us off balance.

What I know for sure is that the only way to endure the quake is to adjust your stance.  You can't avoid the daily tremors.  They come with being alive.  But I believe these experiences are gifts that force us to step to the right or left in search of a new center of gravity.  Don't fight them.  Let them help you adjust your footing.
Balance lives in the present.  When you feel the earth moving, bring yourself back to the now.  You'll handle whatever shake-up the next moment brings when you get to it.  In this moment, you're still breathing.  In this moment, you've survived.  In this moment, you're finding a way to step onto higher ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment